The microbiology of water (hydrosphere) and the earth (lithosphere) have been reasonably well characterised, conversely the microbiology of the atmosphere is a relatively new area for research. Research in this field, which we refer to as “aero-microbiology” (another term, aerobiology, refers to all airborne biota), holds exciting opportunities for improved understanding of the connectivity between microbial habitats, diversity and processes. We restrict our focus here to natural outdoor environments, since the microbiology of the built environment has been well studied due to public health implications.
We identify six key themes that warrant particular focus in this Research Topic:
1. Biodiversity of airborne propagules
2. The atmosphere as a microbial habitat
3. Role of microorganisms in atmospheric processes
4. Aerial-aquatic interactions in aero-microbiology
5. High altitude aero-microbiology and the limits of life
6. Methodological development in aero-microbiology research
It is hoped that this collection of articles will form the basis for a more holistic understanding of how microorganisms interact with the atmosphere, and highlight the importance of this area of microbiology to other topics such as atmospheric chemistry, biogeochemistry and ecology.
How we work:
- After submission, an acknowledgement with manuscript number is sent to the corresponding author within 7 working days.
- A 21 day window time frame is allotted for peer-review process wherein multiple experts are contacted.
- Author proof is generated within 7 working days after the acceptance decision.
Benefits on Publication:
Open Access: Permanent free access to your article upon publication ensures extensive global reach and readership.
Easy Article Sharing: Our open access enables you to share your article directly with colleagues through email and on social media via a single link, permitting third party reuse with appropriate citation in addition to the retention of content copyright by the author.
Global Marketing: Through promotion in a targeted global email announcement or press release, your article will be seen by thousands of the top-most thought-leaders in your field.
Reprints: Distribute your work to colleagues and at conferences as we provide hard copy color reprints of your article on order.
Allied Journal of Medical Research